Temperatures are dropping, stores are stocking pumpkin spice everything, and it's finally here: my (Dena's) favorite season. Happy fall, y'all!
We've had a busy few weeks, and wanted to share some highlights:
- Our book launch party. We had a steady crowd all night and were thrilled with the turn-out. Friends brought yummy food and helped set up and tear down. It was so much fun! (Check out the boxing-glove cake balls our friend Angie made).
- We went to Disney World with Carey's family. We're thankful for this opportunity to spend quality time with the Tennessee Dyers.
- Dena had a devotional from "Love at First Fight" featured on Proverbs 31's ministry website. What an honor!
- Our oldest son started college (he's living at home while going to a local community college) and our youngest started 7th grade.
- We've had several radio interviews for the book, and enjoyed each one. We pray God uses the book, and the struggles we've been through, to encourage other married couples of all ages and backgrounds.
Speaking of encouragement, we want to leave you with some:
We feel a sense of camaraderie when we come across married couples. When the guy in front of us in the checkout line is obviously buying something for his wife, or when Carey finds himself sitting on the same clothing store bench with a guy who is also waiting for his sweetie, the topic of marriage is a good conversation starter—a nice launch pad for getting to know someone.
Though committed, lasting marriage is often mocked in our culture—“ball and chain” is a phrase that gets bandied about when the subject comes up—both of us try to encourage folks who are engaged or already wed that the years after saying “I do” can be fulfilling and fun. Your union might even be something that God wants to use in the lives of others. Have you two ever considered yourself “on mission” together?
Do you sing, speak, teach, or act? Do you use your voice a lot in your job? You might want to download this resource sheet we've put together, based on vocal therapy Carey went through a few years ago: Download Vocal health info
Did we mention we love Disney? Here's a fun article about a Disney-themed wedding.
Have you ever wanted to write for publication but don't know how you'll make the time? Dena's been writing a helpful blog post series ("The 15-Minute Writer") for her agency's website; here's the latest installment. In addition, you might want to check out Dena's upcoming writing workshop. It's affordable, fast-paced but not overwhelming, and chock full of great resources. Also, if you want personal coaching, email Dena at denadyer [at] gmail.com. She's offering sessions via Skype or in person for a limited number of clients.
Finally, check out the Granbury Weekend Getaway contest! Win a weekend for two in idyllic Granbury--voted #2 in USA Today's Best Weekend Escapes. For grand prize details and how to enter, watch the video below, or visit our new website.